The United States government has made a formal extradition request to Honduras for the country’s former President Rafael Callejas over his suspected links to the FIFA corruption scandal, the Honduran government said on Thursday.
Former Honduras President Rafael Leonardo Callejas Romero has stated that he is very worried and stressed out over the accusations and request for extradition from Honduras by the US Government.
He has been accused of being involved in a bribery scheme that is plaguing FIFA officials. Media World in Miami is one of the firms accused of bribing both Rafael Callejas and Alfredo Hawit Also from Honduras and President of CONCACAF as well as the FENAFUTH
The documented bribe is in the amount of $600,000 – Media World is cooperating with the US Government
Bribes were made in order to secure exclusive broadcasting rights and setting of venues for World Cup Qualifying matches.
Alfredo Hawit was detained in Switzerland is is currently refusing to be extradited. Read More Here
The Honduras government said in a brief statement it had received the extradition request for Callejas, who was named on Thursday in a U.S. indictment over alleged multimillion-dollar bribery schemes for marketing and broadcast rights.
Callejas, who later served as head of the Honduran football federation, told a news conference he bore no responsibility for any of the accusations, adding that he was ready to defend himself against the charges.
Reports surfaced on Social Media that Callejas had been hospitalized due to stress following the extradition request by the United States.
Callejas has adamantly denied that he was hospitalized but he did say “I am worried and I hope that I can remain free to mount my defense.”